Lane Marie deMoll
38755 Reed Road
Nehalem, Oregon 97131
July 10, 1949 at 6:38 PM in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
B.A. Bennington College, Bennington, VT 1967-1971
Major: Political Science and Economics
Nether Providence High School, Wallingford, PA. 1961-1967
The School in Rose Valley, Rose Valley, PA 1954-1961
A progressive parent-run alternative school
• CARTM Recycling Center, Manzanita, Oregon, 1996 – 2003
Founding Director and Board Member for innovative community dump/recycling/reuse/trash art center. Raised $350,000 for construction and first year operating expenses and additional funds for on-going programs. CARTM won the 2001 Alice Soderwall Award from Oregon Association of Recyclers, and a 2003 Founders of a New Northwest Award from Sustainable NW.
1990-1995: Co-founder of the original volunteer organization, a committee of the City of Manzanita that won a League of Oregon Cities Award in 1991.
• Fire Mountain School, Arch Cape, OR
1987- 1995 : Teacher
Team taught and managed parent aides in a multi-age alternative classroom setting. Work included integrated curriculum development for all elementary age levels and subjects. Also involved in defining facility needs for new building projects. School is still going strong.
1983-1986 : Director
Co-founded and administered independent alternative preschool and elementary school of 25 students. Responsible for organizing office, setting up administrative procedures, coordinating volunteers, and creating philosophical tone for this parent cooperative. Also set up library and team taught social studies.
1986, 1987 : Co-Director & Teacher, Summer Camp
Developed program and team-taught 3 week arts program for 24 students, ages 3-12.
• Rain: Journal of Appropriate Technology, Portland, OR, 1975-1979
Co-Editor – Shared responsibility for all aspects of writing, managing and producing groundbreaking monthly national magazine on alternative energy & sustainability issues. Personal specialty was community and individual changes.
• Consultant on Alternative Energy Issues (with Tom Bender), 1975-81 Projects included work California State Architects Office (helped conceive Office of Appropriate Technology) and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
• Oregon Governor’s Office of Energy Research and Planning, Salem, OR, 1974: Staff – Developed strategies for Gov. Tom McCall for individual and community transitions to limited resource conditions.
• Criteria, Architects, Minneapolis, MN, 1973
Consultant – Co-authored educational/architectural specifications for consolidation of three private schools into new “open” program.
• Community Design Center of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1971-73 Assistant Director – Coordinated free advocacy design and planning service by volunteer architects and architectural students from University of Minnesota for low-income community clients.
• Twin City Institute for Talented Youth, Minneapolis, MN, 1972
Co-Directed and team-taught Eco-Design Camp, a summer environmental design program for teenage girls in the Minnesota woods.
• American Institute of Architects, Washington,DC, Winter, 1970
Intern, Social Responsibility Task Force – Organized 1st National
Community Design Center Conference
• Architects Workshop, Philadelphia, PA, Winter, 1968 & Summer, 1969
Intern – Helped organize one of the nation’s first community design
centers sponsored by the Philadelphia Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
VOLUNTEER BOARDS AND COMMUNITY SERVICE:
• Fulcrum Community Resources, 2006-Present
Board Chair for grassroots community group whose mission is to foster sustainability in the Nehalem Bay area. Projects include Nehalem Bay Emergency Corps, Healing Arts Guild, and New Year’s Eve Parade
• NeahCasa, 2005 – Present
Founding Board member of community based affordable housing initiative and housing trust. Chair of the Planning Committee for the Tillamook County Housing Summit (April 2006)
• Northwest Oregon Community Development Center (NOWCDC), 2006-2010 Board Secretary for three-county regional housing development organization
• Lower Nehalem Community Trust, 2003 – 2006
Founding Board member of local conservancy trust and one of the individuals who used their retirement savings to purchase 55 acre Alder Creek Farm until funds could be raised for the trust to preserve it and restore estuary and salmon stream. Obtained an Arts Build Communities grant from Oregon Art Commission in 2005 to do arts visioning project and create a Community Art Gallery at the North County Rec District.
• CAW, 2005-2006
Editorial and writing team, grassroots alternative newspaper
• North County Recreation District 20 Year Visioning Committee, 2000
• Cartm Recycling Board of Directors, 1996-2004
• Fire Mountain School Board of Directors, 1983-1994
Committee work included fundraising, budget, curriculum, admissions, public relations and long range planning.
• North Coast Council for Birth & Family Information, 1978-1983
Co-Founder and board member, local homebirth and midwifery support group.
• U.S. Department of Energy, Small Grants Program, Oregon Selection Panel, 1981
• Oregon Self-Reliance; Portland, OR, 1978-1982
Co-Founder and President of appropriate technology networking group
• Farallones Institute (now the Occidental Center for Arts & Ecology), Occidental, CA, 1976-1978
Board member of groundbreaking alternative technology organization who’s early projects included Integrated Urban House in Berkeley and permaculture farm project in Occidental.
• May 2011: One woman show at Rainbow Lotus Gallery in Nehalem, Oregon
• February 2006: Masters Group Show, North County Rec. District Gallery, Nehalem, Oregon
• February 2006 & February, 2004: Women of Wisdom Conference, Seattle, Washington
• November, 2005: Art About Community Show
• June 2005: One woman show at the Manzanita Branch of the Tillamook County Library
• November 2004: Living Out Loud – One-woman Show at Bay City Arts Center
• February 2004: Out of the Ashes: Paintings & Altars – One-woman Show at North County Rec District
• May, 2004 & 2009: CARTM Trash Art Show
• January, 2000 – One woman show at Manzanita News & Espresso
• Stepping Stones: Appropriate Technology and Beyond, with Gigi Coe, Schocken Books, 1978
• Rainbook: Resources for Appropriate Technology, Co-Editor, Schocken Books, 1977
• Manza-Whee-Lem Kiwanis, Pine Grove Community Club, Neahkahnie Community Club, Manzanita Women’s Club – numerous talks, 1994 – 2010
• National Recycling Conference, Seattle, January 2002
• U.S. Association for the Club of Rome, Washington, DC, 1980
• Energy Forum Northwest, University of Washington, Seattle, WA,1979
• Energy & the Poor Conference, Fargo, ND, 1979
• Women & Energy Conference, Seattle, WA, December, 1978
• Appropriate Technology in Oregon Conference – Keynote, Eugene, OR, 1978
• Governor’s State University, Park Forest, IL, 1977
• University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, 1977